14 December 2017

Ghostly (ThursdayTreeLove)

This tree was the first thing that caught my eye when I visited South Carolina. I was intrigued by the filament like structures growing on its branches and general ghostly appearance. The season was spring so I was expecting tender shoots or even flowers but this white 'mane' totally stumped me. As usual, I had a short list of common trees I was likely to see but this did not fit any description....


My sister in law informed me that these hanging filaments were Spanish Moss. Google helped with more information. Tillandsia usneoides is its botanical name belonging to the Bromeliaceae family and is found commonly growing on oak trees. Since my post is about trees, I shall not go into details about Tillandsia but you can look it up here

Aha.. that took care of the mystery! What I was seeing was an Oak and what I thought as its leaves was actually another epiphytic plant growing on it. 

Here is a close up where the Oak leaves are visible.



To this day, the Spanish Moss-festooned oak remains one of the most dramatic trees I have seen. 

I am participating in Parul's #ThursdayTreeLove29. Do head over to see some fantastic trees from around the world. 

8 comments:

Dr Genevive Angela said...

coming over visiting Mahathi, Esha :) its like a tree series related to fear, suspicion, cemetery and now ghostly tree.. looks like a theme for this week... nice click and yes it does looks very mysterious.

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

Wow! I have never seen an oak so taken over by Spanish moss. I like the appearance of moss, mistletoe, honeysuckle or wisteria draped in trees.
You are always welcome in Caneyhead!

Archana said...

@Angela - Hehe... really does look like a theme doesn't it?? Great minds think alike i suppose :-) Thanks for stopping by!

Archana said...

@Barbara - I have seen the Wisteria in full bloom once and it was stunning... I have yet to see the Mistletoe and Honeysuckle but Moss is quite common in these parts... Thanks for stopping by :)

Parul said...

That is so unique and I have never seen anything like that. The green is so sharp and then those hanging part so dull. Thank you for joining Archana. I am still so surprised at such a wonder.

Alana said...

Yes, Spanish Moss. It is so beautiful - but, just a tip - don't touch it if you don't want to be infested with a nasty insect called the chigger. I live too far north of its range, and I'm glad of it.

Mahathi Ramya said...

ofcourse, it's dramatic. Looks unique Archana.

Esha said...

Another wonder of Nature...Quite a spooky tree that is, the first one! I find the second one rather dramatic. Both are really great captures, Archana and am glad you shared them because I'd never know about them otherwise.